Paper 3 Assignment Sheet
In “Human Resources from an Organization Behavior Perspective” Jeffrey Pfeffer, in reference to the interactions between employers and employees, states that “the norm of reciprocity is one of the most fundamental rules governing human behavior, having been found in every human culture studied and even among baboons” (122). He further states that a lack of reciprocity between employers and their employees is detrimental not only to the employee but also to the organization’s overall bottom line. Without some form of this mutual commitment in the workplace between employer and employee, Pfeffer states that there are many unfair outcomesparticularly for non-managerial employees. In addition, Pfeffer states that activating the “norm of reciprocity” requires investment in training the worker.
For this essay, discuss whether or not (or perhaps to what extent) reciprocity has a place in the capitalist workforce. In order to fairly and completely answer this question, consider what is generally thought of as the “core of American values” and the “core of capitalistic values” as well as what interests both employers and employees have.
1. Throughout your paper, you:
a. MUST use the following sources:
i. You have access to all the readings used thus far this semester in order to answer this prompt the best way you can. You MUST use the Pfeffer reading and at least ONE other reading, but you can use more than that, if you’d like.
ii. CANNOT perform any additional outside research (meaning no additional sources beyond the sources provided in this course should be cited in your paper).
2. Your first, exploratory draft must be a minimum of four (4) FULL pages
3. Your final paper must be a minimum of four (4) full pages, but no more than six (6)
4. You must follow ALL the paper formatting requirements listed on the syllabus and here on the assignment sheet
5. You must use Chicago citations throughout the paper and include a properly formatted Bibliography Page (which is NOT part of your final page count)
6. Visit the syllabus for policies on late drafts and final papers
Other Source to use :
i. Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us by Dan PinkChapter 1: The Rise and Fall of Motivation 2.0 and Chapter 6: Purpose
PLEASE DO NOT PLAGIARIZE!! THANK YOU