Compose 2-3 page essay addressing the attached Case Study.
Questions to address:
1. Did Google make the right choice initially – to launch Google.cn and censor the search results?
2. How has Google’s rhetoric regarding ethics, human rights, and business changed over time?
3. What perspective(s) on ethics form the basis for Google’s decisions?
4. Does Google’s rhetoric match its behavior? What implications does this have for Google? For Chinese users of its services?
5. What responsibilities do companies like Google have in promoting human rights internationally?
6. Is it ethical for Google to base its decision regarding censorship on what competitors like Yahoo! and Microsoft are doing?
7. How important is it for an organization to stand by its values, even when they clash with the local values for a foreign nation in which the organization is operating?